I think the whole idea of change and teaching people not to rape, is just that. We need to not normalize rape. By the media and the way they portray women that is teaching people that rape is okay. I have recently seen an audi commercial, where a boy kisses a girl without her consent, and he gets a black eye by her boyfriend, and she smiles. Do you know the type of message that sends? Have you looked at fashion ads? They almost always sexulizing women. If not portraying violence against them. Women are always seen as subordinate in commercials, ads, ect. Everything that a man is shown doing to them, they either accept or like. That is rape culture. That is not teaching "don't rape." The whole thinking behind "teach not to rape," is change to the culture. Not just simply saying "rape is wrong don't do it."
If everyone knew how not to rape, the average joe wouldn't rape someone (hell, 22% of rapists report being married, so you'd think they'd "know how not to rape.")
Rapists who don't think they're rapists
As long as you don't call it rape
1. That audi commercial is not rape, at best it could be sexual assault. But the fact is the girl consented because she leaned into the kiss. If she would of pushed him away then that would of been assault.
2. Give an example of these fashion ads where women are getting violently abused in them because I doubt any of them exist.
3. First of all rape culture is not media showing ads that at best are a little far fetched, but advocating rape , now you are getting into consperiesy theory land. You act as if their aren't commercials where men are spontaneously kissed does that advocate rape? Are commercials where men are submissive advocating rape? How come when a commercial message is men can do what they want , it is preceived as rape; but when it is women it is perceived as empowerment .
4. So because 6% of guys out of roughly 200 say they are not rapist but they do rape constitutes as a rape culture. You can't take a miniscule amount of the population and say that all of society has a rape culture. Plus the article is a little misleading with its wording. First they say they will admit to rape as long as you don't call it rape. But at the end it says these guys don't see themselves as rapist. Plus the survey say repeatedly have you ever had ... With threat or force without defining what force or threat is. Some people thing force or threat is by pressuring some one, which it isn't since you can ask a question a million times, but you always have the right to say no. And threat could be consider something as trivial as I will tell people you are a prude. So these numbers can very well be inflated.
5. How does the amount of rapes happening effect the amount of women getting justice. Even if 2million rapes happen you would still have no justice because you would still have 80% unreported. Rapist is already a negative word, people already know what rape is even if they don't want to call it that. Even if you call rapist rapist nothing is going to be done unless women report their rapes. You can social change all you want there is still going to be that one person that rapes. But, if cops only have 20% reported they can do anything about the other 80% and the 20% is affected by the eighty percent because if their are guys forcing women to have sex repeatedly then basically only 2 of 100 of his victims are reporting that he raped him. Imagine if just 8 other pointed out that he is their rapist he would be in prison more easily if it is just 2.